Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Super Bowl Hype - For the Record...

I just wanted to get this on the record. From the moment the Steelers secured a berth in Super Bowl XL, the media has been telling us that his return "home" to Detroit was an overdone story. The first I heard of it was from Boomer Esiason on the CBS Post-Game Show, where he stated: "Better get ready for all those stories on how Jerome is heading home". On The Score Thursday night, Greg Sansone signed off by saying: "And this just in...Jerome Bettis is from Detroit!".

Yet I haven't seen ONE story on Bettis playing in his hometown, in his first Super Bowl. What I've seen and read are scores of media talking about how that story is overblown. It's like the media is criticizing itself before it even acts! This is what we've come to with our journalists: framing the story, before it even BECOMES a story!

Just thought I'd get that off my chest.

0 comments: